St Helen’s School

Neilcott is delighted to have been awarded a new project to undertake an extension and refurbishment at St. Helen’s School, Northwood.  The proposed extension seeks to enhance and compliment the Eastbury Road frontage providing a clear entrance to improve the School’s presence whilst maintaining a strong connection to the existing building.  The form of the new entrance extension takes its influence from the gable end adjacent and the arts and crafts style architecture which characterizes the Conservation Area.  The materials have predominately been chosen to match the existing with some high quality new materials to compliment these.  Internally it is proposed to expose the original Old Hall timber beams and sand blast them to bring them back to their former glory.  The clerestory windows which have been bricked up to the west are to be opened up to create a visual link between the new extension and the Old Hall.

St. Helen’s School was founded by Miss May Rowland Brown in 1899.  The School House building has taken its current form over many years of development.  The original School House building was dedicated in 1902 and the Old Hall (then called the New Hall) was constructed adjacent in 1910 to facilitate the expanding school numbers.  St-Helens-2St-helens