Time Capsule

Items-found-Apr-2013-1

 

Neilcott are undertaking the construction of a new Worship Facility and Church Hall at Esher Green Baptist Church.  During demolition of the rear Hall we located a Victorian sealed glass preserving jar. It was located in a cavity in a foundation stone placed in a side wall. The foundation stone, which was engraved as being laid by Mrs J Perrin (wife of the first Pastor, Rev John Perrin) on 1st August 1870, was carefully removed as the Church wished to re-place it elsewhere in the new building.

The contents of the jar, which was undamaged, comprised a beautifully written two-page ‘Address’ given at the laying of the foundation stone in 1870 together with five booklets and papers of material published by the Sunday School Union in that year. The Address was a particularly appropriate encouragement for this redevelopment in 2013 as its references to the uses of the Hall and to the work of future generations.

The Church had no idea that this had been placed there, so its finding gives them a new sense of continuation with the past. Current plans are to re-place the contents just found, with a note of the opening in 2013, in a new location near to where it is planned to re-place the old foundation stone. This will be in the interior wall of the proposed front reception area. A new foundation stone, recording the present re-building, is planned alongside, to include a 2013 time capsule.